Website Privacy Notice
When you use Brathay Trust’s services, you trust us with your information. This Privacy Notice is meant to help you understand what data we collect, why we collect it and what we do with it. At Brathay we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting www.brathay.org.uk, www.brathay.com or www.brathaychallenges.com you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Brathay Trust of Brathay Hall, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0HP.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our sites www.brathay.org.uk, www.brathay.com or www.brathaychallenges.com (our site) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, search for a product or services, place an order, make a booking or engage with an event on our site and when you report a problem with our site.
The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal or professional description and photograph.
Information we collect about you
With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics
providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information
about you from them.
We use Google Analytics for aggregated, anonymized website traffic analysis. In order to track your session usage, Google drops a cookie (_ga) with a randomly-generated ClientID in your browser. This ID is anonymized and contains no identifiable information like email, phone number, name, etc. We also send Google your IP Address. We use GA to track aggregated website behaviour, such as what pages you looked at, for how long, and so on.
This information is important to us for improving the user experience and determining site effectiveness. If you would like to access what browsing information we have - or ask us to delete any GA data - please delete your _ga cookies, reach out to us via this form, and/or install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-On."
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and
to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to
those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about
goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only
contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services
similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If
you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we
(or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do
not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for
marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect
your data (the [order form OR registration form]);
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis,
testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you
and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and
to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods
or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you
give to us and information we collect about you. We may us this information and the combined
information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our
subsidiaries as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we
enter into with [them or] you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant
adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to
our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for
example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their
advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help
advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1).
We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply
with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a
condition of us entering into a contract with you.
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your
personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Brathay Trust or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case
personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any
protect the rights, property, or safety of Brathay Trust, our customers, or others. This
includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes
of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transactions will be
encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to
access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask
you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although
we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data
transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your
information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will
usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if
we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your
right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data.
You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at Brathay Hall, Ambleside, Cumbria,
LA22 0HP or [email protected]
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks,
advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these
websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for
these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be
exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our
costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Changes to our privacy notice
Any changes we may make to our privacy notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where
appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes
to our privacy notice.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy notice are welcomed and should be
addressed to Brathay Hall, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0HP or [email protected]