Our KS5-6 residentials
explore leadership & wellbeing
At Brathay we have many years of experience of working with teenagers and young adults and we welcome young people at the latter stages of their full-time school education.
We focus on:
- Teamwork and leadership
- Responsibility for self and others
- Risk awareness with ‘Challenge by Choice’
- Pushing personal limits to raise aspirations and confidence
Effective self-leadership and interpersonal skills among peers are two key ingredients to success at this pivotal transitional time. We know that being resilient, motivated, and making good choices effects every young person’s futures resilience and capacity to achieve.
Our approach is to support and challenge students to think beyond what they believe is possible. We encourage and support them to take on new experiences, at the same time allowing them time to decide their own boundaries and equipping them with the self-awareness and responsibility to consider the feelings and choices of others.
We call it ‘Challenge by Choice’ and it is a crucial developmental step for boosting a young person’s wellbeing through finding courage and resilience. We don’t want your students just to cope, we want them to flourish. Our leadership and wellbeing residentials for 16-18-year-olds provide an exciting outdoor experience that supports every participant to trust in their own capabilities and develop strategies to succeed.
Accommodation is in small comfortable dormitories in self-contained blocks with drying rooms and bedding included (although we expect everyone to make their own bed!). Home-cooked meals and packed lunches are provided, and our facilities are clean and Covid-safe.
We offer exciting day visits, overnight stays and longer residentials at all times of the year
Possible activities include:
- Team building tasks
- Experiential masterclasses
- Mountain and canoe journeys
- High challenge ropes courses
- Ghyll Scrambling
- Creative team projects
- Whaler boating (Group rowing boats)
Expect your students to discover:
- Resilience and determination
- Team working and social skills
- Self-confidence and self-esteem
- Independence and resourcefulness
- Planning and problem-solving
- Self-awareness and empathy for others