Our KS3-4 residentials
provide challenge by choice
Here at Brathay we aim to inspire KS3-4 pupils to engage positively with their environment, the challenges they face and the classmates and adults around them.
We focus on:
- Outdoor learning that is linked to chosen aspects of the curriculum and delivers on agreed outcomes
- Challenges that facilitate personal growth
- Raising aspirations and confidence through choosing, achieving and decision-making
- Authentic and open communication with others
- Having meaningful, developmental fun
Fundamental to all our programmes for children and teenagers aged 11-14 is the knowing that, with the right support, learning to face and overcome challenge in these key formative years develops confidence and self-efficacy.
We achieve this by giving individuals autonomy to decide how much to they wish to push themselves in each activity. Everyone is supported and encouraged but never forced. We call this ‘Challenge by Choice’.
We are committed to delivering the best possible experience using our great facilities and inspiring environment, providing an itinerary that meets your needs delivered by expert technical staff and experienced group leaders. You could say that when it comes to ‘Learning Outside the Classroom’ we are the experts.
Accommodation is in small comfortable dormitories in self-contained blocks with drying rooms and bedding included (although we expect everyone to make their own bed!). Home-cooked meals and packed lunches are provided, and our facilities are clean and Covid-safe.
We offer exciting day visits, overnight stays and longer residentials at all times of the year.
Possible activities include:
- Canoe skills and journeys
- High challenge ropes course
- Climbing wall
- Ghyll Scrambling
- Creative team projects
- Whale boating (Group rowing boats)
- Pamper Pole
- High V’s or High all aboard
Expect your pupils to experience these outcomes and more:
- Resilience and determination
- Self-confidence and self-efficacy
- Teamwork and social skills
- Planning and problem solving
- Acknowledging and managing emotions
- Independence and resourcefulness